Thursday, June 19, 2008

Evangelion 1.01: You are (not) alone

Since anime and computer-enthusiasm are strangely connected together, here's some anime-news.

You are (not) alone is a new movie that re-tells the first few episodes of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion anime (and manga) and is the first of a series of four movies. We all know that Neon Genesis Evangelion is one of the best animes ever created and trying to remake it is a very delicate task.


I think, however, that the studios have done a great job with this first movie! The first fifteen to twenty minutes are nearly identical to the original, with a few scenes left out and short cg-scenes added (which I think look a bit misplaced and don't fit in that well). But the later the movie progresses the more scenes are replaced, and as the story develops (which has changed a little bit, too), the movie features quite much new, high-quality content. I don't know whether it was a sound problem on my system, but there's a high pitch sound in the background every time someone talks. I imagined that it could be caused by filtering out background sounds from the original material, but I hope this is not the case. I'll try the DVD on a normal DVD-player when I get the chance for it.


Overall, I am very satisfied with this movie. As I don't have subtitles for it, yet, I didn't understand a few scenes so I couldn't follow the story 100% (my japanese is still bad). I'll watch it with subtitles again as soon as I get the hands on some and find the time, and will post an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment